Sunday, April 13, 2014

Emily's Quest - L. M. Montgomery

I read the first two books from the Emily series earlier this year (here and here) then with great self control managed to hold back on the last one until now. I really enjoyed the Anne of Green Gables series as a child and it's been a pleasure reacquainting myself with Montgomery again as an adult. I assume this series is meant for younger readers though my local waterstones and I are a little unsure, they have the books in both adult and children's sections - not that it matters, good books are universal.

On the down side, and probably something that wouldn't have bothered me in the least when I was 12, Montgomery is a little bit to ecstatic about nature - there are far to many references to sparkling fairy brews and enchanted anything's for my current taste so a little bit of effort was required to accommodate that. The effort is more than rewarded by the pleasure I got from the lush descriptions of Prince Edward Island, she makes me want to be there, and also feel like I am there. Montgomery has her characters discuss the idea of a specifically Canadian literature in both 'Emily Climbs' and a little bit here as well, she sees it through by keeping Emily at new Moon farm and on her island. I am a sucker for an island location, and all the things that people care about in life happen in small places as well as large.

'Emily Climbs' finished with Emily, Teddy, Ilse, and Perry finishing high school and setting off in different directions, Teddy and Ilse are headed for Montreal to carry on their studies, Perry is a clerk in a solicitors office and well on his way to a dazzling career. It's only Emily who has chosen to stay at home where she intends to pursue her dreams to be a writer. At first all goes well for her, she misses her friends but her stories are being accepted and she's beginning to make a reasonable living for herself. What remains unresolved are her feelings for Teddy Kent whose letters are becoming colder and more remote, still they are young, there are other distractions for Emily, and surely all the time in the world, meanwhile there are novels to be written.

Emily's first novel is the child of her heart and soul, but it's rejected by the first three publishers she sends it to, finally she hands it to her old friend Dean Priest who tells her it's no good, it's a turning point for Emily who burns her manuscript, suffers a horrible accident, and gives up on her dream. After her recuperation, cut off from her friends and her muse she finally agrees to marry Dean.

The relationship between Dean and Emily has been troubling me from the first book, Dean decided Emily was the girl for him when she was 12, 7 years later his patience pays off - his single-mindedness on the subject was hard to stomach whilst Emily was so young (though there's no hint of impropriety) but what's worrying now is his jealous nature. He has developed a habit of belittling Emily's writing because he resents the time and attention it takes from him. He lies when he tells her the book is no good, it's controlling behaviour that hints at the possibility of something more abusive in a time when marriage would be utterly binding.

In the end the marriage doesn't take place (forgive the spoiler) and we can hope again that Emily and Teddy sort out their differences because they're clearly meant to be together. I hope it's not to much of a spoiler to say that the book will end happily, because before that happens Montgomery throws in all sorts of obstacles, the path of true love won't run smoothly. For the adult reader this is a light and enjoyable book with something to say about the choices women have to make regarding career, love, and family life. Montgomery doesn't say you can't have it all but I think she's clear that compromises have to be made for relationships to work and that sometimes ambition isn't compatible with domestic bliss. For younger readers it's basically the same and that's the beauty of a really good book. I think this is a great series, in its way it's quietly subversive - really how often are girls told in fiction that a career might actually be enough by itself? Love is desirable but it's not the only thing.
 

11 comments:

  1. This is one of my all-time favorite books! I can't believe you made it this long without picking up the last in this trilogy. Dean extremely bothered me, too. I kind of found him creepy. A 30-whatever-year-old falling for a 12 year old? Eesh. I also had trouble liking Ilse. Her extreme impetuousness at the expense of her friends and love-interests drove me crazy. But she did balance out Emily's drifty-ness. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and what a pretty edition this is! Mine is an ugly 80s one. I think that book covers can sometimes make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Anne books were available when I was a child but until quite recently I had no idea she had written more books. Now she's out of copy write she's popping up all over the place but when I was a child if a book wasn't in the local/school library or bookshop there wasn't really another way of finding out about it. I'm really pleased to have found this series, I have a feeling I might read them again sometime when I'm feeling under the weather and in need of something cheering. Ilse is a bit over the top but I don't mind that. Emily is an amazing creation, far from perfect (all that pride as well as the dreaminess) but funny too. I loved the bit in one of the books where she's hiding in the cupboard because she hates her dress and hears no good of herself.

    The Dean relationship is creepy, though not quite in the way I first thought it would be - at least he's not a pervert, and is another thing about these books that I think is an amazing achievement, I love the way it's built through all 3 books and how complex it ends up being. I never thought I'd feel sympathy for him, especially after what he does over the book, but I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this review.

    Some years ago, a Canadian writer interviewed a lot of other famous Canadians to ask which books influenced them most in their childhood, and quite a few writers said, The Emily Books. Because regardless of all the other things that happen in the books over the years (and don't you just want to shake Emily and Teddy and tell them to just get on with it) the books are about a girl, then woman, who must write. HAS to write. Writing to her is everything. And when she is forbidden to write, no one understands how devastating it is. No one else gets it. But writers do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mind that it took Emily and Teddy so long to get together, I think it was better for Emily's career, and perhaps for both of them in the long run. I love her determination to have her career and how important her identity as a writer is to her as a person, and I love that it's not a career or vocation that lasts until marriage and motherhood but something that she will always do. It's really all very inspiring and encouraging!

      Delete
  5. I have every single book by this author on my shelves. Over the years I have found old and battered copies of the hard to find titles. So glad they are being reprinted. Hesperus have just sent me a copy of Tangled Web by LMM and do try the Blue Castle as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know You're a fan Elaine, and I can well believe you have all her books. I read The Blue Castle a couple of Christmases ago and really enjoyed it (uncharacteristically horrible cover from Hesperus though) and will look up this latest one. The Emily books are charming, I'm really pleased I discovered them, and aren't the covers luscious!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this post (and the links to the other two novels in the series). I always enjoyed Anne of Green Gables (and still do when I'm in the mood), and it's good to hear about other things that L. M. Montgomery wrote. I'll certainly have to look them up and give them a try myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will say with total confidence that if you still enjoy the Anne books you will definitely like the Emily ones. Easy going reading but I've come away with far more respect for Montgomery than before. They're just the sort of books I like to read when I have a cold and feel miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only Montgomery book I've read is Anne of Green Gables which I loved - even though I wasn't crazy about Anne! Your review has made me want to read more Montgomery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh do read these! They're great fun and I think Emily is probably an easier character for an adult to like then Anne is. I'll certainly be reading more of her, she does great set pieces which are very funny and it's all quite gentle and lovely.

    ReplyDelete